Thursday, May 20, 2010

Common Courtesy and Luck




Today was another day on the blue blaze trail. This morning I started the trail in Eastford at route 44 and walked north. The trail itself is about 2.5 miles to the next crossroad (Ashford Rd). I then completed the circuit for a total of 7 miles. The trail itself is gorgeous and a hike rather than a walk. I will rate the trail as a 7, you not only need to be fit (at least walking wise) you also need good balance and be able to scramble. As I have mentioned before, some of the trails are through private land and as a user you need to show courtesy to the landowners and stay on the trail (and of course, what comes in with you, leaves with you). The trail winds through what appears to be virgin forest, and the sounds of the forest take you back in time.
When I was done with the walk, I noticed that my glasses where missing. I had dropped them. I know I had them half-way up the trail, so I only had part of the trail and all of the rest of the walk to search. The latter I searched by car and did not see my glasses. So I had to walk back down the trail to look for my glasses. As I went I looked at the path and the ground very close to the path. Since I practiced what I preached I did not deviate from the path at all. About 3/4 of a mile into the forest I saw my glasses in the path. Great luck. But my luck was enhanced since I observed common courtesy. The glasses had apparently not made it back to my pouch after I snapped the picture above.

No comments:

Post a Comment