Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Knowing where you are is for chumps

When I am out in the car I like to adventure. I know where I am going, I just like to find new ways to get there. Frequently I have no clue where I am, but it is the adventure that is important. I know where I am going and eventually I get there after seeing new stuff. Well with walking that takes a whole different perspective. I am always interested in seeing new stuff and I want to walk a loop. This usually works out and I get a walk of 5 to 7 miles. But sometimes I am really, really off. Ever since I have lived here I have had the orientation of the green at Thompson ALL wrong, so I took a longer walk than intended because I couldn't find the road I wanted to take back (it was only a 7 mile walk so it ended well). Once in Eastford and Woodstock I wanted to walk a loop I was familiar with, I just failed to remember how long it was. I was forced to go out 4.5 miles and then walk back not completing the loop. Finally there is this, my walk in Chaplin. Ok, I actually didn't set out to walk in Chaplin, I wanted to explore the northwest corner of Hampton. I should have turned around when I saw a sign welcoming me to a "Heart Healthy Community". No, the irony is not lost on me. Well the loop was MUCH bigger than I expected and I had no idea where I was, though I knew I would eventually get back to where I wanted to be. Life is really weird when you think of route 97 as being back to civilization. Imagine my relief when I saw an active road through the trees, finally route 97. But, it was a little TOO active. And it had three lanes......uh, route 97 NEVER has three lanes. I had found the much more active route 6, 4 and a half miles from my car. I had wanted to walk about 8 miles that morning. Well it was 8 miles to route 6. Whoops.

2 comments:

  1. In case someone else is curious about Governors Island noted on the map, it is "a small hill that became an island back in 1933 when Cedar Swamp Brook was dammed to make Pine Acres Pond" in Goodwin State Forest.

    http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2711&Q=422588

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I just circumnavigated Pine Acres Pond today.

    ReplyDelete